A number of people were evacuated from their homes in Londonberry after a damaged underground electric cable fire resulted in deadly levels of poisonous gas being leaked into the properties.
Firefighters were called to a street in Northern Ireland to establish the source of carbon monoxide. The incident was originally treated as a gas leak but it was later established that the fumes derived from a burning electric cable under the pavement. The CO reading recorded by the fire service was lethal and “it was a very high level of carbon monoxide, a potentially fatal level.”
Around 25 residents were vacated from their terraced homes and a bar on Upper Bennett Street, in the second biggest city in Northern Ireland. A 50-metre exclusion zone had been put in place for most of the night. The firecrews were working on site from 1am to 7:30am to tackle the problem.
According to Barry McDowell, the Fire Service District Commander, explained that to find the cause of the fire they used thermal imaging equipment. Now point engineers have drilled underground and removed the faulty cable.
Electrical safety inside and outside the home is important and Electric Point offers electrical equipment that is of a high standard. From Cat5E structured cabling and cable management, to circuit protection and wiring accessories, we have everything you need to ensure your property and its surroundings are safe.
And as one of the largest electrical wholesalers in the UK, our specialists can recommend the best products, the best sellers and the newest technology.
Have any questions? Get in touch with one of our experts today by clicking here.